NAMI Basics is Back!
“The fundamentals of caring for you and your child with mental illness.”
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care.
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
Date: Nov 14, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm
Place: First Lutheran Church, Greensboro NC
Contact Phoebe Patterson at email@example.com or 336-202-3112 for registration.