Family to Family Classes
“Family members who take the NAMI Family-to-Family course are better equipped to work with mental health clinicians in a collaborative manner. My bottom-line recommendation? Take this course. It will help you learn to cope successfully with a major challenge in your life, and that, in turn, will help y-our loved one as he or she works toward recovery.”
What is Family-to-Family?
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 8 week course for family and caregivers of individuals living alongside a severe mental illnesses with over 300,000 family member and caregiver graduates nation-wide
All courses are taught by trained family members of NAMI.
Along with course instruction all course materials are provided to class participants at no cost!
What does the course include?
- Current information , which provides a thorough overview of schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, previously known as manic depressive disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders, addictive disorders, and more.
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
How can I find a course in my area?
View the current Family-to-Family course schedule on our Calendar by Clicking Here!
For further information regarding Family-to-Family please complete the following Program Interest Form and never hesitate to
Contact Us for any additional inquiries!